Sept. 29 – Dec. 18, 2015
opening reception Sept. 29, 6 to 8 p.m.
Alfred Tibor: Hatred Doesn’t Work is an exhibition of small-scale sculptures and maquettes by 95-year-old local sculptor Alfred Tibor, an inspirational central Ohio sculptor and Holocaust survivor. He endured captivity as a Russian POW and other atrocities, surviving because he was able to draw portraits of his captors. Tibor’s artwork is found in nearly 500 private collections and museums worldwide.
Tibor emerged a positive, gentle soul with the desire to spread his personal motto, “Hatred Doesn’t Work,” which is preserved and delivered unforgettably in his own voice through augmented reality experiences within the exhibition. Guests may wish to install an app on their smartphone or tablet before arriving.
Follow these instructions for iOS & Android devices:
1. Open the App Store if you’re using an iOS device, or open the
Google Play Store if you’re using an Android device.
2. Search for “Aurasma.”
3. Download the free Aurasma app to your device.
4. Open Aurasma and scroll through the tutorial, then select “skip” in
the bottom right corner of the login page (you do not need to create
an account or sign in).
5. Tap on the icon in the bottom center of the screen.
6. Tap on the search button in the bottom toolbar.
7. Search for “DublinArts.”
8. Tap the “Channels” tab at the top of the search results, and tap on
9. Once the DublinArts profile page loads, tap “Follow” at the top right.
10. After you have followed the DublinArts profile, tap the square icon
in the center of the bottom row to return to the Aurasma scanner.
11. Point your device at one of the the images of Mr. Tibor throughout
the gallery. The app will focus on the image, which serves as a
trigger for the content, which will appear on your device.
Gallery hours: Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Wednesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Exhibition and public reception are free of charge.
If you are unable to attend the exhibition, you may use the links below to hear Alfred Tibor speak about his life and work.
- “Hatred Doesn’t Work”
- Celebration of Life
- The Immigrants
- Promise for Life
- How Mr. Tibor Became a Sculptor
- The 1936 Olympic Team (Part 1)
- The 1936 Olympic Team (Part 2)
- Forced Labor Battalion: Letters
- Forced Labor Battalion: The Uniform
- Forced Labor Battalion: What They Did
- The Olympic Flag
- POW Stories (Part 1)
- POW Stories (Part 2)
- To Life
- With Knowledge
Celebration of Life
by Alfred Tibor
For more information about this exhibition, please click here to read an exhibition review from the Columbus Dispatch.